Scripture-Study List: Marriage
Christ gave Peter, the chief apostle, the power to bind in heaven that which is bound on earth. Mormons believe this applies to marital and familial bonds; just as a family is bound together on earth, so to can one with Peter’s same authority bind families together in heaven.
- And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
- And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
God commanded Adam and Eve to marry and reproduce.
- And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
God saw that it was not good for a man to be alone and again emphasized the importance of marriage.
Genesis 2:18, 24:
- And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
- Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Christ Himself, quoting the Old Testament, reiterated the importance of marriage.
- And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
- Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
The apostle Paul explained that God intended for men and women to marry.
1 Corinthians 11:11-12:
- Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
- For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
Paul foresaw the day when some would depart from the faith and teach that men and women should not marry.
1 Timothy 4:1, 3:
- Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
- Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
In the New-Testament book of Hebrews, adultery is specifically condemned, but marriage is considered honorable for all.
- Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.