Here’s an interesting random sample of anti-Mormon statements/actions through the ages.
- “…the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary…”óGovernor Lilburn Boggs of Missouri, in 1838. This “extermination order” resulted in the deaths of at least 60 Mormons as well as the rapes of dozens of Mormon women and girls. Countless others died from exposure as they were forced to evacuate the state. The extermination order was finally repealed in 1976.
An example of early anti-Mormon propaganda.
- “Nits will make lice, and if he had lived he would have become a Mormon.”óthe boastful murderer of 10-year-old Sardius Smith, in 1838. Two hundred to two hundred and fifty troops, under the command of Colonel Thomas Jennings and authorized by the Missouri governor’s extermination order, attacked the Mormon settlement of Haun’s Mill, killing eighteen members of the Church. One elderly man was hacked to death with a corn cutter; ten-year-old Sardius Smith, found hiding in the blacksmith shop, was quickly shot. Several days later anti-Mormon militia men entered the larger Mormon settlement of Far West, where, after disarming its defenses, they plundered the city and brutally raped some of the women. The forced exodus of the years that followed probably claimed thousands more Mormon lives. (See The Story of the Latter-day Saints, pg. 137-138.)
- “[We must apply] the knife [to] this pestiferous, disgusting cancer [of Mormonism], which is gnawing at the very vitals of the body politic.”óSenator Stephen Douglas, in the 1850s(?).
(See CHC 4:221-22.)
- In 1975 with the Communist take-over of South Vietnam, about one hundred Vietnamese Mormons were evacuated by the U.S. government. Many of those that remained behind were placed in brutal “reeducation camps” and eventually escaped as boat people to neighboring countries. The Church helped resettle them in the United States. (See Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball, Pg. 305.)
- “It is of no small moment that the LDS has infiltrated the CIA and the FBI…The objective of the Mormon conspiracy was to transport [Uranium] ore beyond the control of the federal government. The avowed purpose of the Church…was to obtain nuclear capability for future use when it would attempt to obtain world conquest and single world government…The nuclear capability of Israel has resulted from this conspiracy, which provided for the highjacking of 200 tons of ore in 1968. The rumor was widespread in the knowledgeable circles of Salt Lake City that the Mormon Church had arranged to assist Israel in bringing off Armageddon.””óMae Brussell, in 1978. (Oooooo…scary…watch out…the Mormons are coming to get you…)
- “I’m not concerned about what you feel. I couldn’t care less what you feel…You guys have no guts, no backbone. You have no bobingas anymore. What’s wrong with you guys? You’re like a bunch of walking sissies…You’re nothing more than a spineless little weasel. You’re not even a man, let alone a man of God.”óAnti-Mormon “protestor” at a recent (post 2000?) Mormon general conference, speaking to an LDS reporter.