Return to Previous Page
Scripture-Study List: The Testimony of the Holy Ghost
After speaking with the resurrected Christ, some of His disciples described the effects of the Holy Ghost. The role of the Holy Ghost is to confirm the truthfulness of Christ’s teachings and of His gospel.
- And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Jesus Christ Himself taught that the Holy Ghost can teach us truth.
- But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Jesus also taught that after His death the Holy Ghost would testify of the truthfulness of His life and of His teachings, in harmony with the Holy Ghost’s role as a testifier of truth.
- But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Jesus taught elsewhere the same principle: the Holy Ghost–the Spirit of truth–can guide us to and testify of truth.
- Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
- He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
The apostles taught that, aside from their witness of Christ, the Holy Ghost would also act as a witness.
- The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
- Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
- And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
The apostle Paul taught that the righteous are heirs of God, join-heirs with Christ, and that they will be glorified with Him. He taught that the Holy Ghost bears witness of that fact, confirming the Holy Ghost’s role as a testifier of the truth.
- The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
- And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
- For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Paul also taught the Corinthians that God can reveal spiritual truths through the Holy Ghost.
1 Corinthians 2:9-16:
- But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
- For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
- Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
The apostle James taught that any who lack wisdom can ask of God. God responds, usually through the Holy Ghost.
- If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.