Scripture-Study List: Tithing
Anciently, Abraham paid tithing to Melchizedek, the priest of God.
- And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
- And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
- And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
The Old-Testament prophet Jacob described how he paid tithing–ten percent of his income–as a way of expressing gratitude for all God had given him.
- And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
- So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: